SUMMER STUDY PROGRAMS IN FANJEAUX, FRANCE
FOR DOMINICAN COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES
MAY 28-JUNE 13, 2013
international study experience brings together faculty, administrators, students and staff from
U.S. Dominican schools in the medieval hilltop town where St. Dominic's vision of an order devoted
to seeking and sharing the truth took shape from 1206 to 1216.
Mornings are spent in study, afternoons in excursions to historic sites in southern France with a focus on places significant in the early history of the Order of Preachers. As a community of learners, we enjoy simple living and good meals at the Belvedere, a Dominican guest-house. Both programs conclude with four nights in Paris.
In their three-credit course, "France in the Middle Ages", students learn about the history, philosophy, art and literature of the period, both in class and on field trips.
In their seminar faculty and staff explore the Dominican vision of higher education emerging from the intellectual traditions of the Order of Preachers, particularly as they relate to theology, social justice and the arts. Together they discuss contemporary challenges on their campuses.
2013 Fanjeaux Schedule
2013 Fanjeaux Syllabus
Places to Stay
When to Visit Lourdes
Download our student brochure!
France in the Middle Ages: An interdisciplinary course (Taught in English. No previous knowledge of French is necessary.)
• Meet students from other Dominican colleges
• Study in Fanjeaux where Dominican higher education finds its roots in Dominic's vision of an order dedicated to truth
• Explore medieval studies in art, architecture, history and literature
• Visit many interesting sites in southern France and conclude the program with a stay in Paris
• Earn 3 credits from Dominican University
• Improve your understanding of the French language and culture and become acquainted with medieval and modern Paris
Admission is limited to 12 students.
Student cost is $2550 (Tuition, room and board in Fanjeaux; room and partial board in Paris)
(Airfare not included)
Includes tuition and excursions, full room and board in Fanjeaux, tips for bus driver and kitchen staff, partial board in Paris, and museum entrances.
Check at your campus to see if scholarships or financial aid are available.
We also ask that you fill out a
request form and return it with the application. Note, you can disregard the "Method of
Payment" section of the transcript request form. Return both the application and transcript request
7900 West Division ave
River Forest, IL
Download our faculty/staff brochure!
Faculty/Staff Cost: $2250 (Room and board in Fanjeaux; room andpartial board in
(Airfare not included)
Includes all excursions, full room and board in Fanjeaux, partial board in Paris.
• Join faculty and administrators from other Dominican colleges
• Experience the community of study in Fanjeaux at the heart of the Order’s foundation
• Reflect on Dominican vision then and now:
The intellectual tradition of the Order of Preachers Aesthetics and theology in the Dominican curriculum
Justice and diversity issues
• Explore together with contemporary Dominicans and their associates the implications for our Dominican colleges today
• Visit many interesting sites in southern France, including places special to the Order’s early years